Monday, March 19, 2012

Sick Day= Sewing Day!

So, a few weeks back, I had to suddenly cancel all plans for the day because my 11yo started throwing up just before she was supposed to leave for school. And since she was home for the day, I thought that I might be able to get some sewing done of my own. Not so much. Instead, my daughter got some sewing done!

Several months ago, she expressed an interest in learning to sew and I found the Simplicity "Learn to Sew" line. And she picked some really cute flannel to sew a pair of pj pants. We washed the fabric and I showed her how to measure herself and select her size and cut the pattern.

And then... we moved cross country from DC back to UT! And the project was packed and forgotten by me. But, apparently not by a sick child who decided to follow me into the sewing room (dungeon) and start opening drawers and totes until I dug out the project and handed it to her.

 Before I knew it, my project was forgotten and her sewing machine was set up, threaded and I was anxiously watching over her as she pinned and cut her fabric. I tried to go back to my project, but I ran over at her every call and got nothing done.

But- the day was not a waste! Not a waste at all! I have a proud daughter with a finished pair of pj pants that she just loves! And I have created a monster! She is already planning her next project!

 I have to say that I highly recommend the "Learn to Sew" line from Simplicity! They had clear instructions that were easy for my 11yo to follow, even though she double checked everything with me. And she was able to complete the project in just a few hours.

Here she is in her pants! I waited until she was better to take photos because I refuse to make my kids pose when sick. :)
And the back-
And the side-
You may notice that they look a bit long, but 1. They are the right length when she actually has the waist band at her waist, but she never wears pants that way no matter how I try, and 2. They are PJ's, so who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment