Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Happy Spring!

I just can't wait for spring and so, when I saw New Look 6104 and it practically screamed "SPRING!!", well I had to get it.



I was able to pick it up at my local Walmart for $2.97, which is pretty good! I wanted to get started on it right away and since I was in the fabric department getting the pattern..... I found some gingham of unknown fibers for $1.50 per yard and I thought that would be perfect for my muslin.  (I used to pattern fit, using the methods in "Fit for Real People" which I totally recommend, but the results have been less than stellar in trying to fit myself, so now I muslin everything.)

After measuring, I should probably have done a size 14, and a FBA, but being lazy, I decided to just go with a 16 and wing it. ;)  I have to say that I am pleased with the results. After making a few alterations that I then transferred to the pattern I can totally see myself making more versions of this pattern. It is a bit loose in the shoulder area, so one day I will do the 14, but for now, I am labeling New Look 6104 a TNT!!!



So, what alterations did I make? Well, first one happened in the paper pattern stage, before stitching up my muslin.  I simply pinned the pattern together and tried it on a la "Fit for Real People" and immediately knew that I was going to have to fix the gaping neckline.  So, I made a dart in the neckline that tapered to nothing in the armhole.  But, of course, there was no way to check the fit in the back other than to see that it was wide enough, so next I made the muslin.

The muslin turned out so cute, that since I had to put the placket on for proper fitting, I decided to go ahead and finish it.

The other changes that I made were: a seam down the back to remove 1/4" each side for a 1/2" total. And I put darts in the front! Yup, maybe should have done the 14, but .... The french darts work!



Conclusion: quick, easy to put together.  Few alterations needed. Now a TNT. Cute, wearable muslin, for under $4 (the card of buttons set me back a whopping $.67). While the fit isn't totally perfect, trying to get a perfect fit in the past has made me sew nothing, so I will enjoy this top as is. Altogether= total win!


3 comments:

  1. Very very cute my dear. The colors are so spring like

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words! I have fallen in love with this top and plan to get lots of wear out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I am about 2/3 of the way done with mine. I probably should have cut a 14 with an FBA too! LOL! I was happy that the 14 and 16 weren't together so I didn't feel bad cutting. It is a bit big at the neck and then it just hangs down from the breast. I should look into the french dart.

    ReplyDelete